Did you know the first known use of the term "real time" was back in 1953? It's true. Merriam-Webster.com says so. Since that time, the phrase has been embraced by many technology related industries, including the customer service space. Today, we hear the words "real time" quite often - real time analytics, real time monitoring, real time metrics, real time data, etc.
In the customer service quality assurance (QA) space, the term “real time” carries a lot of weight since there is so much riding on the quality of agent performance. Studies show that when a customer’s problem isn’t resolved on the first call, 15% will try a competitor. Most organizations cannot afford this level of attrition. Imagine a large organization with millions of customers and tens of thousands of customer interactions weekly. With even a 92% first contact resolution rate, 1 out of 6 customers from the remaining 8% would churn. This is unacceptable to most businesses and could translate into millions in lost revenue, not to mention the high costs associated with acquiring new customers.
To combat this issue, organizations often seek solutions that monitor agent performance in real time (the actual time during which something takes place – Merriam Webster). The goal is to pinpoint agent or workflow deficiencies as soon as they are detectable - before it’s too late.
Real-time QA delivers substantial value, as it enables customer service teams to assess agent performance while it’s happening, not after the fact. In the fast-paced contact center environment, you don’t want a poorly performing agent to take even one (let alone 10, 15, or even 100) more calls before his/her skill deficiency is resolved. If he/she does, it could have disastrous consequences by costing your organization unnecessary customer churn.
When real-time agent performance intelligence is truly garnered, workflow corrections and additional skills training can be implemented immediately – leading to real, tangible intraday improvement that moves the needle on CSAT and sales revenue.
Real time reporting, assessment, data discovery and collaboration capabilities can empower customer service teams in many ways:
- Agent monitoring - Managers, team leaders and QA analysts can assess agent performance in real time with automated scorecards and reports sent right to them
- Self-assessment - Agents can assess their own performance with real-time KPIs (when your QA software is integrated with your contact center and CRM software)
- Peer collaboration - Agents can collaborate and share best practices with other agents live via online collaboration communities
- Bi-directional feedback – Team leaders can provide their agents with real-time coaching feedback and allow them to discuss evaluation results via collaboration messaging
- Real time decisioning – Managers and team leaders can make real time campaign and workflow corrections on the fly to maximize conversion and mitigate operational breakdowns
“Only 35% of customer service organizations use real-time decisioning.” (Forrester)
The more customer service organizations and the technology they employ evolves, so will real time quality assurance. And with 46% of customer service leaders worldwide feeling like their quality assurance process is at the developing stage, these real time solutions can’t come soon enough.
We welcome your comments below!
Learn all about Playvox’s comprehensive agent optimization suite, consisting of quality assurance, performance management, coaching, training and motivation modules.